Love is in the air this week as we inch our way toward the most romantic holiday of the year! This Valentine’s Day, we hope you spend time with friends, neighbors and loved ones. We believe it’s how you live that matters, and showing your special someone(s) how much they mean to you is what this holiday is all about!
This Valentine’s Day, why not show your love by baking some yummy delicious goodies? Check out some of our favorite delicious treats for your Valentine:
Valentine’s Strawberry Nutella Pop-tarts
Yield: 6 pop-tarts
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1 package refrigerated pie crust
- 6 teaspoons Nutella
- 6 teaspoons strawberry jelly
- 2 large strawberries, sliced lengthwise and carved into hearts
- Coarse sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and cover a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg yolk and 1 teaspoon water. This is your egg wash. Set this aside for later.
- Roll out pie crust until it’s thin. Cut into 2.5 inch x 3.5 inch rectangles, re-rolling the dough as needed. You should end up with 12 rectangles.
- Cut a heart in the center of 6 of the rectangles – use a heart-shaped strawberry as a guide. Set aside.
- On each of the 6 remaining rectangles, spread 1 teaspoon of Nutella, leaving a ½ inch border around the edges. Top the Nutella with a layer of strawberry jam, making sure to leave a ½ inch border.
- Place a strawberry heart on top of the strawberry jam layer – in the center of the rectangle. Top with the remaining layer – making sure the strawberry heart shows through.
- Seal edges with fork and brush with egg wash mixture. Sprinkle heavily with coarse sugar.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes or until golden brown. Transfer to a cooling rack. Let cool for 5 minutes then serve.
Valentine Rice Krispies Treats
Yield: 2—24 treats
- 3 tablespoons margarine or butter
- 1 package (10 oz.) regular marshmallows or 4 cups miniature marshmallows
- 6 cups crisped rice cereal
- Candy melts or white chocolate chips
- Food coloring, if desired
- Pink and red edible sprinkles
- Melt the margarine or butter in a large saucepan over low heat. Once melted, add the marshmallows and stir until completely melted. Remove from heat.
- Mix in the crisped rice cereal. Stir until well coated.
- Spread the mixture using a buttered spatula or waxed paper evenly into a 11×17 inch rimmed baking sheet coated with cooking spray. When cool, cut the treats into heart shapes with a 2-3 inch cookie cutter.
- Melt the candy melts or white chocolate chips according to package directions. Stir in a few drops of food coloring, if desired. Dip the edges of the treats into the candy and decorate with sprinkles. Allow the candy to cool and set before serving.
Nothing says “I love you” more than baking and personalizing your gift. What are you making for your Valentine? We’d love to hear on our Facebook page! We hope you have a lovely Valentine’s Day!